Friday 22 May 2015

THE GOLDEN LION - Bedhampton Road

Today we ventured in to Bedhampton after I found a pub online which neither of us had ever been to.

You never quite know what lays ahead as you jump in to the unknown with rumbly tumblies and a hope for something new and wonderful.

This week we were disappointed. Upon arrival things looked fairly promising. The pub has recently had a makeover and you could see it's had a few pennies thrown at it. However, the service and atmosphere were inexplicably icy. I was told, after ordering two drinks that the card machine wasn't working. Luckily I happened to have some cash, else those two drinks would still be sitting, cold and alone, feeling dejected and unloved.

The menu didn't fill me with hope, nor did the prices. Everything was around £5. Don't get me wrong, that's cheap as buttons, but in my experience, cheap food rarely means good food.

The food wasn't good, neither was it bad. My fish was a bit watery, but it's hard to complain when you're only paying a fiver. Another thing that did annoy me, was the specials board. There wasn't allot on it, but there was a roast advertised. When I asked about it I was told it's not available. I can only assume it was left over from Sunday, which is pretty slack considering this was Friday.

In summary, we won't be going back to The Golden Lion. Not to say it's a bad pub, perhaps it's a good place to go for a drink in the evenings, but I wouldn't recommend spending your £5 there at lunchtime.

Atmosphere   2
Service   2
Food   4
Value   9

Outcome - League 2 pub

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your opinion?